Friday, February 07, 2020

 

The Railway pt 2

The quickest route from Lower Sydenham to my next stop, The Railway Telegraph in Forest Hill was to change at Catford Bridge and get a 185 bus.  This saved ten minutes off my planned train only route.  This pub is a large Shepherd Neame pub on the corner of a very busy A205.  Fantastically it still serves Hurlimann at £4.40 a pint.  Another dartboard (not for use before 7pm on Thursdays due to club use) the third of my three legs is another 27 darter.  I underestimate the walk to the station (it is nine minutes!) and rushing for the 18.12 train at halfway I believe that I have left my scarf in the pub.  Deciding to abandon it, i get to the station on time, and despite all barriers being exit only, the station master sees me and reverses the large gate to allow me to jump on the train.
It takes 17 minutes to get to Gypsy Hill.  The Railway Bell is a bit of walk up hill (not quite as long as previously) and unfortunately the Estrella is off.  Annoyed that I had to go for a Fosters the £3.60 price cheered me up.  The bar was horseshoe shaped and round to the left is another dartboard, though the throwing line is less than a foot from a step behind.  Taking my coat off to play, out falls my scarf I thought I had lost.  This raises my mood further.   Unimpeeded by the step behind, my third darts leg again is my best this time being 26 darts.
I get the 19.25 train which takes seven minutes to get to Tulse Hill.  This pub was right next door to the station (at last) but had clear signs saying they do not accept cash.  I was charged £5.60 for my Estrella and managed to get a seat in this crowded and surprisingly trendy place.  Definitely female friendly, one girl was a 8/10 for a young Gwyneth Paltrow,
Certainly a nice place to people watch....
Or pole dance maybe....
The 20.04 was on time and seven mintutes later I am at the Railway at Streatham Common.  The Railway here had lots of beardy weird beers on and I could not see a lager i recognised.  I went for a Purity craft lager at £5.20 which was ok.  This had a pub dog, a lovely Shitzu and a clientele as you would imagine for such a place.  It's ok, better than some on the crawl but not one I would make a special effort for.  I did spend some time here as I then got the 20.50
arriving at Thornton Heath at 2105 (fifteen minutes).  The Railway Telegraph had lots of TVs showing Sky Sports but did not feel like a sports bar.  A bargain £4.10 for an Estrella, I wonder round its large area and see a dartboard in the corner.  This was against a large mirror which was distracting at first but then does allow for some artistic photo opportunities.

The 21.40 gets to Sutton at 22.03 and the plan was to get the 22.12 to Carshalton or 22.13 to Cheam (all taking a couple of minutes) and then get one half an hour later to the other one.  However, this is where tiredness and hunger got the better of me.  As I was effectively home and have done the two local railways tons of times, I decide to get something to eat and then head home.
11 Railway pubs during the day I am happy with, but a little regretful I did not do the thirteen in one day.  Had I planned to start there and end further away no doubt I would have done them all.
In the planning I had to ditch the Railway in Bromley North as that took too much traveling time too so not all is lost.  Also there are plenty of Railways north of the river that need to be done on another day. (yes - technically my first two here that were north, but as they were also west heading out is a southwesterly direction from London city they don't count as such)
Need to start planning on another crawl soon so watch this space....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?