Friday, January 31, 2020

 

Surrey Senior Cup

An offer of a Tuesday night in Leatherhead and some cup action football was strangely turned down by my friends who I invited to join me.  Can't think why?  I have not been to Leatherhead for years and certainly not the football ground since a similar cup tie in 1991 which i think ended 5-1 to Sutton.  Those were the days the Surrey Senior Cup was taken seriously whereas I knew it would be mostly Sutton United's academy with a small number of senior players 29 years later.
I had planned three pubs before the game which started at the Dukes Head.  However, this has just been turned into an Indian restaurant so I decide to go to the Edmund Tylney wetherspoons instead which was not on my list.
This place is a typical spoons, do similar to others and lacking such interest the only photo opportunity was a selfie by the stairs to the toilets.  At least cheaper than £3 for a Kronenberg.
Anyway onwards to the Penny Black.  This has two friendly bar staff serving (one called Ellie) and they were lovely as i paid an expensive £5.50 for an Estrella.  Could easily spend more time here.  It was a Youngs place with a Burger Shack if you are inclined that way!
Final stop before the game was the Running Horses.  Here was choc full of the Amber Army and I could not get a seat.  The poor news was only two lagers to choose from which were Fosters or Whitstable Gold.  I chose the latter.  Onto the game and the ground in only five minutes from here near the leisure centre.
The admission price was £12, two pounds more expensive than the all Premier League FA cup tie three days ago.  Drinking in sight of the pitch is allowed here and in the competition so with a £4.50 Moretti I watch a relatively dull football match with a strong Leatherhead side running out 3-0 winners.  The evening out would have been certainly better without the football, though without it I would not have been here!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?