Saturday, October 24, 2009

 

Smorgasboard 22 October 100 Club


Only a fiver for Theoretical Girl and a solo support from Gwenno the Welsh one from the Pipettes. I wander in as The Understudies are halfway through their set. They play nice twee stuff but have no image other than the slender pointy female glokenspielist in a summer dress. The male lead vocalist and guitarist reminded me of an arrogant school friend (though I'm sure he probably is a much nicer bloke than the one called Gary S). From what I saw they were ok and also mentioned by each following act as something special!
The next act was an American "Duke of Dark" who I lost interest in. He seemed to be like an Elvis impersonator and an act that may go down well in the states but not here. I was however distracted as I took the opportunity to sit down and on my right were two swedish girls who were djing between acts and then Gwenno and two female friends decide to sit next me! Well hello....
Gwenno, wearing laddered striped tights, short denim shorts and a glittery black vest looked good Her solo stuff certainly has an element of Kylie and St Etteinne. Very enjoyable but will take a couple of listens to appreciate it.
Theoretical Girl (Amy from Southend) has a day job as she missed the soundcheck due to this. She advised us that her cabbie was "Sweet Steve" who plans to take over America! In between such stories she plays very melancholic pop on her keyboard opening with 'Rivals' and ending with 'The Boy I Left Behind' in the Twee sense similar to Aberdeen. She's also a late developer turning thirty in a couple of weeks. Hope for us all.....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?