Saturday, May 30, 2009

 

Island Life 50th Celbration, Fratellis 27.5.09.

Ever since I booked up for this taking place at Shepherds Bush Empire I was worried. Not that I thought it would be no good. No, The Fratellis are one of the best bands from the last couple of years. It was firstly wondering why it did not sell out within nanoseconds. Maybe the price, £35.00, is a bit steep these days. Still the Fratellis should be considered an arena band and here's a chance to see them in a small venue, as a one off gig, in a series to celebrate 50 years of island records. Still within three weeks of the gig there were still standing tickets availiable, as there would be on the day of the show. Then in dawned on me. It's the same night as the Champions league final. This dispelled my worry why no-one was buying tickets and then started my worry as to what I would do. Would I miss half the show if I watched the whole game? Then stage times were announced. Fratellis on at 9.35pm. Great I thought, watch the game in the Walkabout. Then it dawns, just under an hour an a half? Still maybe if there's no encore or audience banter then that fits in with most of their two albums. Anyway after a disappointing game, I head into a half empty venue dead on 9.35. Ten minutes later it is a bit more heaving and a look upstairs shows it's just as crowded on levels 1-3. However, no band on stage and the reggae music playing on the PA (including a reggae version of White Stripes Seven Nation Army) is doing my head in a bit. Five minutes later they are introduced by some caribbean bloke who must have something to do with Island. On come the band, and instead of launching into something well known they start with a reggae beat. Strange? A vaguely recognisable Bob Marley tune, which the next day I discover to be called 'Stir It Up'. This lasts over ten minutes. A look at my phone shows it to be five past ten when it ends. The crowd are talking and lost much like myself. The bar is busy. What happened next though was fantastic, as (although only discovered the day after when trying to find the set) the Fratellis play all of their debut album Costello Music in order. Again not knowing this, I began to worry as Whstle From The Choir and Chelsea Dagger are played as track four and five! Still as this album is very familar there was moshing, singing and generally a good time had by all. The best of the second album followed including Look Out Sunshine and an encore of Shameless and Milk And Money, a very apt ending. The show ended at ten past eleven, so just over an hour twenty which wasn't too bad, and given the one-offness of the show (from the band's view) and the uniqueness of the debut in full, it was a great night from a great band.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?