Thursday, February 26, 2009

 

NME Award Show Brixton Academy 21.2.09.


South West trains are shocking. There was engineering works between Southampton Airport and Southampton Central this Saturday meaning a replacement bus and an extra 50 minutes on your journey which coincided with the home game against Preston. What’s more it seems to continue for the next few Saturdays coinciding with another two games!!! This resulted in me not being able to get to Brixton Academy in time for the rated Florence & The Machine, the first act on in this NME tour show. Still, I was in a buoyant mood thanks to Marek Saganowski’s brace of goals after Drew Surman opened the scoring. Our first home win since September and hope of staying up. I arrived in time for the White Lies set, reminiscent of The Bravery and The Departure who sprung up and then disappeared a couple of years ago. I quite like their melancholic keyboards with a couple of catchy choruses. They were joined on stage by Florence so if she dents the charts I’m claiming her as an act seen.
Friendly Fires were not my cup of tea. Going for an Ibiza esque indie vibe, it doesn’t really work for me. Glasvegas were the main act, and although having only one album I was disappointed their set did not last for more than 35 minutes. Their album reminds me of Slade in the mid eighties with darker lyrics. Geraldine was the opener and Daddy’s Gone closed their seven song set with an explosion and a fall of glitter at the end. Good albeit brief stuff indeed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?