Friday, December 05, 2008

 

Carter & Reading 22.11.08



The day began by going to Reading for football. Journey Planner sent me there via Dorking with a 35 minute wait between the main station and deepdene. Research showed that the railway pub the Lincoln opened for breakfast and true enough at 10.51 when my train got in I could see a group eating their bacon and eggs. In I go, “a pint of Carling please”. Barmaid looks at the clock on the wall, “Sorry sir can’t serve you for five minutes, not 11 o’clock yet”. So a quick journey to the garage to get a bottle of Kronenberg for the train and back to the Lincoln on the stroke of the hour for a refreshing pint. My train ticket was from the edge of zone six as I had a travelcard. The guard checking the ticket informed me that I should be going via central London rather than the country way but he wasn’t going to take issue as I had a beer!
Reading is not as bad as some people say. Had a beanburger in Burger King whilst they were playing Dave Edmunds ‘I Hear You Knocking’ in the background.
And did a couple of pubs. The Hobgoblin was a beard weirdy alehouse, and the Warwick had lots of strange furnishings mad of stone such as a large upright fish, and an elephant head on a mans body! The game was fantastic. Best Saints had played all season, winning 2-1 against a side who had won all bar one game which they drew this season at home. Saints had over four thousand there and although I needed to get to Brixton for the evening I had to have a couple of celebratory pints in the Three Guineas, Readings station pub!
Back to Brixton then via Paddington for Carter USM. Met my friends in the Canterbury Arms, a pub I had not been before, a large pub just the other side of the main road, left out of the Academy. Carter returned last year after a ten year lay-off. They sold out then and decided to try it again for singers JimBobs birthday this year. Another sell out. EMF were supporting and we walked in just as they were halfway through unbelievable. Silly hat from the singer but other than that song they were forgettable, though this could be as we were near the back drinking. Carter came on at 8.50 and played through till eleven. I think this was a tad overlong. The middle part from their cover of This Is How It Feels through to Only Living Boy In New Cross was fantastic, but alas over two hours was slightly too much especially with three encores, one of which included the Smiths ‘Panic’. It’s probably the folly of not touring that they feel they need to play some stuff other than the hits and whereas the hardcore Carter fan would love it, the majority here were probably here for Sherriff Fatman. Still a good show though and maybe it was being out all day and tired I felt it was too long. And David Icke said……..

Surfin USM / My 2nd To Last Will And Testament / Rubbish / Billy Smart Circus / Do Re Me So Far So Good / Midnight On The Murder Mile / While You Were Out / This Is How It Feels / Sheltered Life / Bloodsport For All / Glam Rock Cops / Lean On Me & I Won’t Fall Over / Prince In A Paupers Grave / Lets Get Tattoos / The Only Living Boy In New Cross / Anytime Anyplace Anywhere / And God Created Brixton / After The Watershed / The Music That Nobody Likes / Falling On A Bruise / The Final Comedown ////// Senile Delinquent / Panic / The Impossible Dream //// Sheriff Fatman /GI Blues ///// Shoppers Paradise

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?