Friday, November 07, 2008

 

Bryan Adams O2 5th November 2008



Although I’ve seen him several times before (40-45 maybe) this was the first Bryan Adams gig that I’ve attended for over three years. With a new album out, Eleven, I did not really know what sort of set to expect. I haven’t got the album and by all accounts it is nowhere near his best. However, out of a two and a half hour show he just did three songs from it. He opened solo on his b-stage towards the back of the arena doing an acoustic Can’t Stop This Thing We Started. Not one of my favs to say the least but at least I hadn’t heard an acoustic version before. He made his way to the main stage during The Best Of Me by which time we had already made our way to near the front. Probably the closest you’re going to get at a venue like this. Somebody was next which featured a rap from guitarist Keith Scott wishing Bry a happy birthday! A highlight followed, Hearts On Fire, a song I’ve not heard live for many a year, though the band did manage to mangle the ending somewhat. Instead of picking a girl out of the crowd for When Your Gone, someone bid for the slot in a charity auction. Whilst they were ok, they were no doubtably surprised when a pregnant Mel C appeared on stage for the second verse. Wow I have now seen a Spice Girl, having turned down the opportunity to see her at V98.
Thought I’d Died And Gone To Heaven was another classic not played for a while and things got even better when he launched into Take Me Back. The last time I heard this was as a result of my banner aimed at Keith Scott many moonsets ago. Alas it did appear not many in the crowd were aware of the genius of this song but I was well happy bouncing away (obviously I am one of the hardcore). In the encore the last band song was C’mon Everybody before Bry finished acoustically with four songs, one of which was When The Night Comes, where for the first time he didn’t namecheck London (or wherever he is playing). All in all a solid return to form though there was probably one too many ballad in the set, though this does draw in his female audience of which there were many!
A quick word on the pubs we entered before in the Maze Hill area. The Vanbrugh was a pleasant enough Gastropub. The Castle an oldmans classic boozer, the Royal Standard look dilapidated but was ok inside and we could have a game of darts. However, the Ship Billet was one of the worst pubs I have been in. Horrible smell, drunk dirty workmen and rank beer. Things redeemed though by going to the Pilot, no our regular haunt before the o2 with nice barmaids, nice pint of Kronenberg and a nice setting!

Can’t Stop This Thing We Started (acoustic) / Please Forgive Me (acoustic) / The Best Of Me / Somebody / Hearts On Fire / 18 Til I Die / Let’s Make It A Night To Remember / Back To You / I Don’t Want To Lose The Fight / Summer Of 69 / Everything I Do / Cuts Like A Knife / When You’re Gone (with Mel C) / Thought I Died And Gone To Heaven / She’s Only Happy When She’s Dancing / Heaven / It’s Only Love / Take Me Back / Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman / Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You / Thought I’d Seen Everything / Run To You ///////// Cloud Number Nine / C’mon Everybody / Straight From The Heart (acoustic) / When The Night Comes (acoustic) / Walk On By (acoustic) / All For Love (acoustic)

Comments:
First BA Gig for 3 Years? Lies !

You are fogetting May last year - the 25th Wembley night... Friday Night In London etc !!

M
 
Friday 11th May 2007 so half correct. It was in fact his 26th Wembley Arena show!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?