Wednesday, June 25, 2008

 

Thea Gilmore Bloomsbury Theatre 9.6.08

A Monday night is not the best to venture out, but Thea Gilmore’s show at the Bloomsbury Theatre was reason enough to come up to London. This was the first time I had been at this venue which is tucked behind ULU, a secombe centre type sit down venue. Having heard through the doors her support do the worst slowed down version of Green Days Basket Case I entered in. I have played Thea’s new album a few times and frankly found it hard work. Very depressing compared to some her previous mainstream stuff. (Thea fans will get the pun). Also when I saw the stage with a few acoustic instruments I soon realised this was not a show with a full band, so no hope of ‘Heart String Blues’ then. However, although the show featured heavily on Liejacker, she exceeded my expectations. Throwing in a lively ‘Seen It All Before’ in second certainly helped and the finale before the encore of ‘Call Me Darling’, ‘Girl Is Taking Bets’ and an audience singalong in ‘Are You Ready’ was rousing enough for an acoustic set. Before ‘Are You Ready’ Thea announced she was hacked off with the recent by-election result in her home district of Crewe & Nantwich. Then realising she was in London, she added ‘although probably not as much as you are!’ Too right. An encore started with her oldest song ‘December In New York’ which was suggested by an audience member, and in the sea shanty type song ‘When I Get Back To Shore’ the audience were invited up on stage. About ten females took her up on the invite, I decided to stay in my twelfth row seat from which I had a perfect centre view. Ten days later I would be at Bristol, but have a few other gigs to fit in first.
Before the gig I watched most of the Italy Holland game in the Friend At Hand in Russell Square. When finding out who was playing the attractive Aussie barmaid exclaimed ‘Wow I wish my boyfriend was playing’ before quickly adding ‘well my Italian boyfriend, I have one in every country’. Good girl!


Old Soul / Seen It All Before / Rosie / Dance In New York / You Spin Me Round Like A Record / Icarus Wind / Gods Got Nothing On You / Saviours And All / If You Miss Me At The Back Of The Bus / Black Letter / Avalanche / Call Me Darling / Girl Is Taking Bets / Are You Ready /////// December In New York / When I Get Back To Shore / Lower Road

Comments:
Thanks for writing this.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?