Wednesday, March 05, 2008

 

Wolverhampton 4.3.08.

Whereas I am sure I have done more stupid things supporting Southampton, going to Wolverhampton on a Tuesday night must rank up there. Having a half day at work, I trekked up on the afternoon and got the last train back to Euston and then two nightbuses arriving back home at three in the morning.
It was worth it, with the normally hopeless Jason Euell heading a 94th minute equaliser!
The pubs of Wolverhampton were good and for some reason I decided to stay on the real ale. The Tap & Spile was first, a real spit and sawdust place showing the horse racing. As you would expect it was half empty with mainly old men in. A Golden Glow was had here which was suprisingly drinkable. Walking pass the Banks brewery my next stop was The Royal Oak. With its namesake in Southampton my home match local, I decided to have an 1828 here. It was fairly empty but they did have a lovely blonde barmaid here, and also a middle aged landlady!
The Chindit was recommende by a friend and I had a pint of Hereford Pale Ale here which was very pale indeed. A small two bar establishment, with an immaculate pool table and posters of the Beatles dotted around. Quite nice and friendly but not outstanding. The Combermere Arms was very nice, an outside gents with a tree in it. Here, I had a pint of Tinners and lost a few quid on the quiz machine. With time getting on, I had a bottle of Newcastle Brown in the heavy metal pub, The Gifford Arms, with its heavily tattooed clientiele. As with most heavy metal pubs, it was welcoming and played a varied range of rock. I tried to follow the crowd to Molineux from here but most of the drinkers were on their way to the Korn gig at the civic hall. After the game I tried to find the Great Western, but with that side of the railway being redeveloped I settled for the ember-inn establishment the Bluebrick. As with most ember inn places it was nice but they are all a bit similar aren't they? Time was had to nip to the local Spar to get a fourpack of Coors for the long train ride home!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?