Tuesday, October 30, 2007

 

The Cribs and The Glitterati 17/10 + 19/10

A couple of gigs to write up -
‘ello we’re the Cribs from Wakefield!’ is the customary introduction for The Cribs. Having booked up for these at the Forum on the 17th at a similar time when I saw them at the end of May, I thought that their latest album might grow on me. However, it hasn’t. I just don’t think its much cop. However, the atmosphere in the venue was better than the Astoria. The Forum is probably a better venue, with the step down from the bar, and fairly easy to get to the front left of the moshpit. Mirror Kisses always sounds good and that and Wrong Way To Be are probably worth the admittance. Both myself and my friends were impressed with our pre-gig choice of pub called the Pineapple. Hidden round the back of Kentish Town, it was very bohemian with stools at the bar and played some excellent indie rock at a sensible volume to allow conversation. Will have to try there again.

The Friday (19th) I made my first ever visit to Camden’s Purple Turtle for The Glitterati. An excellent rock band they played a good mix of new songs and stuff from their debut. Whether they will get round to releasing their second album is unsure. Although their opener was a new one called ‘No-one else can f… me up!’ which sets the tone for a slightly harder edge than their older more recognisable stuff. Bizarrely, I was recognised from their previous gig last year (I must be distinctive!) from a girl who was in a band that supported them then. She appears to be upset that she doesn’t play her bass in her new band. However, she seemed very nice and confident though and it’s a shame her band (idle silver) don’t appear to have any London gigs planned yet. A big Paramore fan too!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?