Friday, June 29, 2007

 

Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

Busy busy busy. Anyway this latest post covers the weekend. Actually did nothing exciting until the Sunday (see below). It actually wasn’t a bad weekend to do sod all as BBC had extensive coverage of Glastonbury. Glastonbury has never appealed to me. It’s just too big. It doesn’t appear you can wonder between stages and have a chance of getting a decent view. As it is the TV footage shows that the pit between the stage and the audience was a good twenty feet if not more. So I was glad I could watch it from the comfort of my living room sofa.
There were some good performances, Kasabian probably putting in the best, with Dirty Pretty Things not far behind. I enjoyed John Fogerty and also Iggy and The Stooges. However from the TV there were some disappointing performances. The Fratelllis had an awful brass section added to them which was terrible. The Killers suffered from sound problems and many of their songs you could only hear the crowd singing well above the volume of the band and I hate to say but The Who did not seem that interested. Still good coverage from the BBC (press that red button) so I can give my opinions.

Onto Sunday then. All day drinking sounds good fun but not necessarily when its pounding down with rain. We started at the Oval for the 20-20 Surrey Hampshire match. At one stage earlier in the day it didn’t look like there would be a game, but they managed to get a ten over match in with Surrey looking good winners. Highlight for me was an N-Power girl with the whitest of white teeth giving me my red 4 & 6 sign. Forgetfully she did not write her phone number on it. Shame!
At the conclusion of the match the intention was to head towards Hyde Park for a few support bands (Jet – Chris Cornell) before Aerosmith, but the heavens opened again so an impromptu pub crawl was done of Shepherds Market. Among the pubs were Ye Grapes and the Kings Arms. We also went in the O’Neills where there was a friendly barmaid who was from Sweden yet had dark hair, though she did confess to dying it.
We get to Hyde Park and head quickly into the 2nd stage tent to see a bit of Joe Satriani. Not sure what he was doing except it was a long self indulgent instrumental. After five minutes we head to the main stage only to be slightly disappointed that Chris Cornell had just finished. This was mad up by the fact that the beer on offer was Tuborg. Bonus! Unfortunately as it was crowded and muddy attempts to meet up with friends independently here were futile. However the alcohol was starting to have an effect and I remember it was still raining and I was wet when Aerosmith came on to Love In An Elevator. The set was mainly their late eighties and early nineties hits with a bit too many ballads for my liking although I enjoyed Crazy with Alicia Silverstone on the video screen. Another highlight was the Fleetwood Mac Blues song of Stop Messing Around which was unexpected. They ended with Walk This Way, with an original member of Run DMC guesting although I had indeed forgotten this until reminded a couple of days later. A good show, if a little short, less than 90 minutes from a vaguish memory, just a shame about the weather. My trainers are still drying out in my garage after attempts (which may be pointless) to wash the mud off them!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?