Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

Juliet I'll Keep That In Mind

A busy weekend started with a trip to the Bloomsbury Ballroom to see the Answer, a classic rock band playing a recently opened venue. Bascically it was a large room with a bar at the back selling Peroni at £3.50 a bottle. The show was good but the sound wasn’t that great. Whether that’s due to the venue or the sound system I don’t know. I would recommend The Answer’s album to anyone who’s got a bit of a rock street in them!
Quite a good crawl of Holborn was done before with an excellent find called the Bountiful Cow. Despite its neon lighting outside, it was very pleasant within with a wide array of draught including the ever popular Bitburger.

Saturday went to Wimbledon. Unfortunately the Hand & Racquet was full of pissed up people who had been watching the rugby all day so we went to The Prince of Wales opposite the station before embarking up to the village. Stopping off at All Bar One there was a gorgeous barmaid, probably of polish origin. Very nice blonde hair and a lovely smile. One of my mates reckon she used to work in the Alex. Onto the village and we ended up in the Brewery Tap where we took over the jukbox and made it play the best of Britpop for the remainder of the evening.

Sunday, I saw the first of my Thea Gilmore dates this year at the South Hill Arts Centre in Bracknell. Bracknell is horrid. Got there about five and upon walking into the pedestrianised shopping area I had already got a view of how run down it was. I found a pub called The Bull. Within in minutes of getting my pint a fight started by the pool table so I hid round the corner. Not a pleasant pub. I walked back to the station where I frequented the Goose. This was probably the best pub out of the five I went to although itself wasn’t great with a few groups of teenagers spreaded about. Walking to the venue I stopped at the Green Man, an okish two bar pub and the Golden Farmer which from outside looked pleasant but inside it was very run-down, full of baseball capped youngsters in on bar and old and very drunk people in the other. All had tattoos with one old bloke having spiders webs tattooed on both his elbows. Nasty place.
The gig itself was at a small theatre and was very good. I was surprised to see Thea had a new EP out (exclusive to the tour) and she did all four songs from this as well as some other new stuff. Highlights for me though were the welcome return of her older stuff, ‘Bad Idea’ from her first album and ‘December In New York’ from an early EP. Also a good acoustic version of ‘Juliet’ and ‘Cheap Tricks’ were played. Actually there was not too much from her last CD Harpos Ghost (I think about four tracks) so the set had a good mix. I bought the Ep direct from Nigel Stonier (her guitarist and husband) who seemed a nice northern bloke!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?