Monday, January 15, 2007

 

Magic Darts!

Darts has suddenly become fashionable, not least because of the classic final on New Years Day between Barmey and Phil Taylor. On Friday I experianced my first visit to Lakeside for the 'other' not so good World Championship tournament and saw two mens quarter finals and the Womens final. The atmosphere was fantastic and although you were away from the action there were big screens so it was a bit like being at a stadium gig when you're half way back. The first game was a great 5-4 with the dutchman De Vitters beating the geordie Gary Robson. The next game eventual finalist Phil Nixon got through. Then it was the womens final and although the standerd was not great it still was a world title final that I witnessed.
Managed to see the final on Sunday between Martin Adams and Phil Nixon. Another great game, where in the first to seven Adams sailed into a 6-0 lead before being dragged back to six all. He finally got his act together though to win the final set in straight legs. Wolfie as he's known, presumably as he is bearded, is the BDO's world number one and although he deserved his win I don't think he would have much of a chance against Phil Taylor or Barney on the PDF.

Saints had a dull nil nil on Saturday against Burnley. We severey lacked a creative spark in midfield and it shows that when your creative players are all out injured (Belmadi, Dyer, Surman, Skacel, Idiakiez) you are going to struggle. Off to Shepherds Bush for QPR on Saturday which is always a good away trip.

Watched Spurs lose to Newcastle in O'Neills where they have employed a suitably attractive barmaid. (I cant recall the last time I saw a female member of staff in this pub). The match itself was hugely entertaining even with the ridiculous nonsense at half time. Much as I detest the club Spurs, I have to admit a liking for Martin Jol, who remarkably said yeah as his first word in the post match interview. Spurs actually do try to entertain unlike some Northern sides and although not in the same bracket as Arsenal or Man Utd, you do get some good football to watch when they play.

Big Brother has all gone a bit mad. Leo Sayer finally lost it and broke out having run out of underwear. He also tried to fight the security guard who was about five times bigger than him! Much as I hate myself for watching this trash TV, I am intrigued by the general bitchiness by the girls (all of which will cry at least once every two days) and how the blokes remain so quiet especially Jermaine. I stand by my prediction of the faceman to win although he did have to survive an eviction to stay in!

Again, being January I have another quiet week ahead. May go out for the Man City Sheffield Wednesday game as we play the winner. Beyond the weekend I have my first gig to attend, The Sounds at the Water Rats in Kings Cross. Their album is fantastic so should be a good one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?