Tuesday, December 05, 2006

 

The Zutons, Roundhouse 3.12.06

Initially when I got my ticket for this it was to go to a new venue. The Who got there first however. Still I like the Zutons second album so wasn't too disappointed. Engineering works meant I got the train to Wimbledon and a train to Vauxhall where I got the Victoria Line to Warren Street. Having time on my side, I decided to alight here for a pint and then get a bus. The Court pub on Tottenham Court Road was entered to see the last five minutes of Everton beating West Hamm innit. Two quite attractive barmaids were serving and the pub was fairly full. Just opposite Warren Street tube I went into the Prince Of Wales Feathers which was remarkably empty and as we approached 7.30 last orders was rang. Still had a quiz machine and were showing Real Madrid v Bilbao! A buss was promptly hopped on and I alighted just before Camden Tube. Walking up to the Roundhouse I decided to have one more in the Good Mixer (a legendary Britpop pub). Needs a lick of paint these days but still a good mix (excuse the pun) of people and a good jukebox. I watched a few random people play pool in here and left just before they had a meat raffle!!
After findong out what time The Zutons were on I had time for a couple more. Misty Moons I did after the Who, a bootleg spoons! Here I managed a couple of quid playing Bully. Finally before the gig I had a hald in Londons only classical music pub Bartok. An outragous £1,90 a half of Fosters explained why it was fairly empty but I was treated to a violin / cello duo who were quite pleasant.
Onto the gig & I managed to get to a good position on the right hand side. Here I saw probably the best gig of the last three months or so (certainly since Jimmy Barnes). Opening with 'Why Don't You Give Me Your Love' the set was full of bouncy rocknroll tunes. 'Stacy Look What You Done' was another highlight and the set ended with an elongated 'Valerie' which was really good fun. The sound quality was really good and all of the band seemed to be enjoying it to despite the annoying scouse accents. Don't often see a band with a saxophone played but it was played as a rhythm rather than lead instrument which obviously give the music a glam (Gary Glitter esque sound). The only gripe again, as with all these newish band, was that the set was a liitle short(1 hour 20) although agains they played everything you'd expect. Perhaps a cover could have been put in. Hopefully they can produce another decent album (no new songs were played tonight) and then they could have a huge wealth of tracks to perform form.
I had a day off the concert trail on Monday but Tuesday am seeing Milburn and Wednesday Bat For Lashes who's debut album Fur & Gold is one of the best released this year. A Tori Amoseque folk effort with dark undertones!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?