Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Good Books & The Fields at 93 Feet East 18/10/06

93 Feet East was a new venue for me. I decided to head to this Brick Lane venue to check out two NME highly rated bands, The Fields and The Good Books. Why do all new bands these days have their name preceded with the word ‘the’. I walked from Liverpool Street and managed to see the first half of the Chelsea Barca game in The Gun, a pub by Spittlefields Market and used in a few films. This was less heaving than the pubs near the station which were rammed. Anyway after a pint I went to the venue in London’s notorious Curry district. A funny venue with a large room, with a bar on the left, with a small stage at one end. Adjacent was another room which had more of a trendy bar type environment with a large beer garden. This was open to the general public too. One thing that was noticeable was the high proportion of attractive (well 18-25 year old) women in the audience. Not sure why this would be the case, perhaps new bands attract this sort and when a place is going to be really crowded and sweaty girls are put off. £3.30 a pint or £3.00 a bottle was a little pricey but I managed to get a good place down the front on the left for the first act, the Fields. A short 30 minute set and I was quite impressed. Echoes of Joy Division, each song had an elongated (some would say self indulgent) instrumental ending. Definitely would take a second look at these guys although I think they are lacking a good pop tune you’d be able to sing along too.
In between acts I spoke to the Fields female keyboard player at the bar although due to a combination of loud background noise and a strong Scandinavian accent I could not understand much of what she replied to me.
The Good Books topped the bill, and were a young male band that may be another reason a few girls were in the crowd. They had similar tunes to a band like the Clash but were less rocky and lacked any attitude. Not too bad but I didn’t see anything here that would convince me they will make a big venue one day.
Still for a bargain £6.00 a cheap and entertaining night out was had.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?