Friday, August 25, 2006

 

GMT, Michael Grade & C. Ronaldo

Wednesday 23rd saw me go to Charlton, rather randomly, making use of my brothers ticket for the Charlton Man Utd which he couldn't go to. Making use of the opportunity to explore pubs in a different area I look at the map of the vicinity of the Valley and decide to get off the train at Maze Hill. Arriving at six o'clock this gives me plenty of time ot have a few halves and make my way towards the ground which appears to be a half hour walk or a quick bus journey. My first stop was the Plume Of Feathers just north of Greenwich park. This was a great pub. Very small and cosy, with a horse shoe shaped bar reminisicent of the Little Windsor in Sutton. Bravely there was a Crystal Palce pendant behind the bar and perhaps reassuringly one or two punters with Charlton shirts on. Fairly attractive barmaid too in a tight light green topsho sounded eastern european. After a pleasant half I move on to a place called the Star & Garter. Look ok from the outside. Inside it was a shabby old man locals with the horse racing channel on the 1970s telly propped up on a bookcase. Very smoky and the 70 year old barmaid with bleached hair was very scary, and was taking the mick out of one of the regulars who fell over being so drunk the previous night!
After a very swift half I move on. I was going to try Hardy's but was scared off as I could not see inside. Safter terriotary would be the Cutty Sark tavern about a five minute stroll away. As I started i felt a few raindrops. By the time I got there it was a tropical storm and I was soaked. As there was no sign of a let up I decided to have a pint of Coors. The last time I made ths pub my port of call was about eight years ago and it hadn't changed at all. Still historic looking with a good view of the dome. It got to about seven & I decided to head towards the ground. Fortuanately the rain had eased off slightly. Getting to Woolwich Road and passing three or four half decent pubs I hop on a bus and get off just past the train station. Heading away from the ground towards the river I find the Anchor & Hope. Bearing in mind its only five minutes from the ground it isn't overly busy and I was surprised to see Toby on tap. I have time for a pint at £2.60 which is expensive bearing in mind Toby is normally bargain bin rubbish. A nice view of the Thames but decided to remain inside as the rain had restarted.
I get to the ground about ten minutes before kick off and decline to buy the £5 programme. Outrageous if you ask me! I find my seat and I'm in front of the executive area. Behind I see Sir Michael Grade (ex head of BBC) chatting to someone. Steve Ryder then turns up a couple of rows in front of him and shakes his hand. Finally I see Sir Bobby Charlton who hasn't touted his ticket!
Onto the game and it's all United. Ronaldo gets loads of abuse, all compeletely warrented, and the only surprise is that it takes a howling error early in the second half for United to take the lead. Giggs looked a class apart and United certainly deserved to win 3-0. Making a quick dash from the ground I get a train back to Waterloo for a final beer in the Hole In The Wall who were showing Football First and Chelseas surprise defeat. All in all a good evening made better by the news of Saints 5-2 win home to Yeovil in the Carling Cup which I decided to miss in preference to this!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?