Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Barnsley

My first away trip of the season isn't the most glamerous. Still got a cheap train ticket to Doncaster and made my way from there via Meadowhall. Doncaster is quite a nice place. You have to walk through a shopping centre from the station to get into town which is slightly odd. After perusing the market which included a stand where you could get five magazines like 'Razzle' and other dodgy top shelf material for a quid (I declined) I found myself taking the safe option and going to the Hog's Head. What I do notice about a lot of Northern Places is that the female contingent aren't that attractive but don't wear a great deal which was the case for the large young barmaid who served me in here. Having won £1.00 on the Bullseye game I make my way back to the station stoppping in the TutnShive. A sawdust dingy place, I make another £1.00 on Bullseye in here. A modern train takes me to Meadowhall, where I change onto a train that probably hasn't been cleaned since the sixties to get into Barnsley. I have a look round the centre and it's slightly depressing. Most buildings are falling down and the first pub I go in, The Corner Pin, is a smoky old mans place. A tatooed man serves me my half and although a TV was advertised outside, it is switched off. It did have a pool table though where two middleaged men are playing with cigarettes firmly attached to their mouths. I decline to go in the adjacent pub which advertised Tetleys at 79p a pint and have better luck was in a place called Macey's. Here the Sheffield United game was on and the pub which was fairly busy was at least clean. With time moving on, I walk to the ground and stop at the Metrodome, who's bar is recommended as one of two in the away fans guide. Basically a bar in a leisure centre there's a strong smell of chlorine. Still few Saints fans dotted about, football showing on the telly and another itbox where I clean up a £3.50 profit on Bullseye!
Onto the game and the first dodgy refereeing performance this season. Mike Dean from the Premiership had not got a clue. Two iffy penalties and several strange decisions. Still an entertaining game and one we really should have one. Still a point better than nought. Oakwell is quite an Old Fashioned ground at the bottom of a hill. Unresereved seating and the away fans are tucked behind a goal with very good view of the pitch. With the corners open the atmosphere is a bot lost and I'd imagine it could get a bit nippy in the winter.
After the game I manage to get on the 17.01 back to Meadowhall. Having twenty minutes to change I try to chek out the pub in Meadowhall's shopping centre only to find it's closed. Back to Doncaster then and I watch the Bolton Spurs game in Yates and The Walkabout. Both cheap and fairly pleasant there's a stag do that follow me between pubs with the centre of attention dressed in a leopardskin dress! After the game I have time for a quick one in the nearby Wetherspoons where my winning Bullseye run comes to an abrupt end with a £2.00 loss. Still a good day out and managed to get home form Match Of The Day where another referee gives a shocking penalty in the Everton Watford game.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?