Saturday, June 17, 2006

 

Bon Jovi, St Marys Stadium Southampton

So the first outdoor gig of the year and a record attendance for Southampton FC. We got there to see the last 15 minutes of Nickelback who I have seen before at Brixton. We got 'How You Remind Me' at the end and they were ok. Fairly solid American rock (although I think they are Canadian). At 8 o'clock Jon and the boys came on and did a solid two and a half hours of what you'd expect. I've seen them about ten times before but not for a good eight or nine years. The band has augmented with an additional guitarist and keyboard player. They played a fair share of new stuff but all was typical Bon Jovi stuff. I was impressed with the 'Captain Crash' song which had the crowd waving their arms from side to side. What was a little unusual was the barrier between the 'golden circle' and the other standing plebs acted as a walkway. Jon Bon Jovi sang the opening song 'Last Man Standing' on this walkway effectively being in the middle of the crowd. The second song in was 'Rockin All Over The World'. I thought the version was a bit shoddy musically myself but it certainally got the crowd going. As well as the new stuff there was a fair share from Slippery When Wet and their first single 'Runaway' which ensured I went home happy. The 'Raise Your Hands' song was fantastic with all the crowd right to the back of the Northam stand up with hands raised. If only it was like that when Saints played Derby. Talking of which in the encore Jon asked if the Saints were any good to a mixed reception. He dedicated 'Wanted Dead Or Alive' to Saints fans which seemed odd. The whole show ended with a rousing 'Keep The Faith' after which Jon seemed to over estimate a Bon Jovi fan's wealth by saying 'We'll see you at Milton Keynes tomorrow and Sunday'. Very good entertainment and although an expensive ticket given the length and quality of the show I felt it was good value.

Set List (rough guess) - Last Man Standing / Rockin All Over The World / You Give Love A Bad Name / Captain Crash / I'd Die For You / Born To Be My Baby/ Story Of My Life / I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (inc Jumping Jack Flash & Dancing In The Street) / Radio Saved My Life / Runaway / In These Arms / Just Older / Have A Nice Day / Who Says You can't Come Home / Its My Life / I'll Be There For You / Complicated / Bad Medicine / Raise Your Hands / Livin' On A Prayer //// Welcome To Wherever You Are / Everyday / Wanted Dead Or Alive / Keep The Faith

Apparently at Milton Keynes they radically changed the set both nights and included Thin Lizzy's Boys Are Back In Town and Neil Young's Rockin' In The Free World!

Comments:
Nickelback are spellt with a 'c' Bradshaw. Get the name of our band right!
 
Nickelback are spellt with 'Nickelback'' Bradshaw. Get the name of our band right!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?