Friday, June 16, 2006

 

Bif Naked - London Astoria 6.6.06.

Bif Naked is one of my favourite artists. She's from Vancouver, covered in tatoos and her latest album 'Super Beautiful Monster' ranges from Metal, melodic rock to gospel. This was her first UK date for many a year supporting a band called Alter Bridge, who I confess I have never heard of. As I hadn't seen her before I got very excited when I heard she was support and had to get a ticket. I was not disappointed. Her set, understandably, was mainly from her latest album and given the band she was supporting she concentrated on the heavier numbers. The highlight for me was when she slowed the pace down with the gorgeous ballad 'Everyday'. Unfortuantely it was over all too quickly with her set being just over 30 minutes. However on an optomistic note she did say 'See you in the fall' which hopefully means she'll be back soon with her own headline shows.
I stayed for the first four songs of Alter Bridge and can't say I was that impressed. It just seemed really bad heavy metal. All songs trying to sound like Iron Maiden, weighing in at 5 minutes plus with over half of it being guitar solos with stupid macabre titles like 'Buried Alive!' Unfortuanately unlike most metal bands there was no sense of irony here. Will avoid them in future.

Bif Naked set - Yeah You / Question Song / I Want / Instrumental / Everyday / Let Down / I Love Myself Today

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?