Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

The Ataris, Luminairre Kilburn 2.5.06

Was really looking forward to this having heard the excellent 'So Long Astoria' album with the 'Boys of Summer' cover on it. Alas they did not do the cover nor much of this album. Got a Thameslink train to West Hampstead and went in the supurb if a rather strange 'Czech Republic' bar. Only £2-60 for a Pilsner Urquell. They seem to have moved to more regular opening times than my last visit a few years ago when it was shut! A short walk to Kilburn High Road saw me frequent a Gastopub called the Black Lion. Imagine this was a good pub a few years ago before they called in Ikea to redesign it to make it 'female' friendly. No attractive females in there by the way. Finally a quick half in the Good Ship which seemed a strange place with a high bar saw me enter the Luminairre. First time I've been here and after a walk upstairs you are in a place no bigger than my living room! Stage is about two inches off the ground and standing at the bar there are only about seven rows of people ahead of you. Just before they came on I counted about 97 people were in the crowd and it was packed. Alas they were disappointing concentrating on filling their set with their soon to be released album which upon this listen isn't great. Still the title track from the album mentioned above was good as were a couple that the audience knew. No covers though, (was hoping for at least one even if it wasn't the Henley classic) and a set of only just after an hour. All in all I'd give it a 6 1/2 out of ten. It could have been better. Did have me ruing that I decided not to go to Goldfinger the day after at Camden though as they played 99 Red Balloons on the tannoy before hand. Instead I did have a free night out with work colleagues which was fun!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?