Wednesday, February 01, 2006

 

Leicester

Saturday I enjoyed George Burley's first away win as Saints manager at Leicester. Now a few years ago when people asked me about Leicester I would have pulled a groaning face as I had not had that good experiances there. Being pelted with coins at Filbert Street on my first visit and a few bearable chain pubs on my next. However a year or so ago saw me discover the Swan & Rushes pub which at the time had Gambrinus and Bitburger on tap with many a weird ale and earlier this season went to the Rutland & Derby Arms which had over 20 different things on draught. For this visit I did more research and found some cracking pubs. You could do a fantastic crawl and have lager you've never seen before or ale if you're a beardy-weirdy in each pub. To start I'd recommend the ale house which is more of a real ale place than lager, followed by the above mentioned Rutland & Derby Arms which had at least 18 lagers. I dabbled in the Italian Messini beer, turning down Cruzcampo, Bitburger, Cobra, and a weird looking greek thing (probably Mythos but writing was a bit illegible). Just down the road you would then go to the Criterion which is a sister pub to the Swan & Rushes. However before going to the latter you'd have to stop off at the Out Of The Vaults pub which had the dutch Lindeboom lager on tap. Finally if you're off to the Walkers Stadium or the Rugby, then the Gateway had another fantastic selection of both ale and lager where I indulged in Veltins, a German Pilsner. All of them under £3.00 a pint too which is rare for such scarcely found beers. Because of this I hope Leicester stay up so we play them next season otherwise may have to join one of my rugby Wasps followers for when they play there!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?